I know what you are thinking because I have the same problem with my little sister. How do you get them to eat healthier foods? My mom and I have invented a few ways to get my younger sister to try new things that might work for you.
My sister Abby, she looks up to her two older sisters. A way you can get your child to eat more is with help from older siblings. If I try something that she thinks is gross, she is more likely to try it. If my father was to ask her to try something she would immediately say NO!! But on the other hand, if my other sister or I decided to eat that food she would answer “Well maybe I can try a little piece.” Even if she still does not like the item of food, at least you know she tried it. Then you will know what foods to keep stocked in your house.
Also another technique we use to get her to eat more is using her friends. Abby plays with her friend every day after school and they also eat snacks together. If her friend will try something that she was opposed to earlier, she would immediately try it. Children are influenced by role models and friends.
These methods might not work for everyone, but they could be a start for you to try to get your child to try new foods. Try it with something sweet first like watermelon, something that you know they will enjoy. If they enjoy the first item, they will be more willing to try the next item of food that you introduce.
I tried this recipe below, with my sister and it was a hit. She loved being involved in the making of the pizza and also it is one of her favorite foods. We made a healthy homemade version and she is already asking me when we are going to make it again.
1. Cut the broccoli to make 1 cup of chopped broccoli.
2. Put the broccoli in a saucepan with water. Cook on medium until tender.
3. Drain the water from the saucepan. Let the broccoli cool.
4. Cut 4 English muffins in half. Toast the 8 muffin halves.
5. Shred the mozzarella cheese to make ½ cup of shredded cheese.
6. Peel and shred the carrots to make 3 tablespoons shredded carrots.
7. Spoon 2 tablespoons pizza sauce over each English muffin half.
8. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon shredded mozzarella cheese on top of each half.
9. Put 2 tablespoons broccoli and 1 teaspoon shredded carrots on top of each half.
10. Sprinkle each half with 1 teaspoon grated parmesan cheese.
11. Toast in the toaster oven for 2 minutes, until the cheese melts.
Try making these pizzas with whole wheat muffins.
Recipe found at USDA.gov. Post written by Alexis Deacon.