Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching, and you may be trying to think of ideas of what your plans are going to be. Whether you will be spending it with someone special, a group of friends, your family, or even hanging out at home alone, there are always fun, healthy options to partake in. This year, keep with your new year’s resolution and replace those high sugar and fat content items with more healthy choices. Below are some dessert ideas that you do not have to feel guilty about indulging in this holiday.
Aunt Barbara’s Chocolate Squash Cake
Makes: 12 Servings
Incorporating squash into a chocolate cake adds flavor plus fiber, vitamin K, phosphorus, and folate.
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 package cake mix, dark chocolate
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup squash (shredded or finely chopped)
**chopped walnuts (1/4 cup, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 10″ tube or Bundt pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and cinnamon.
3. Add eggs, water, and oil. Blend until combined, then beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes on medium speed.
4. Fold in squash. Add nuts if you like.
5. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Use a greased 9×13-inch pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
- To lighten cake, try 6 egg whites in place of whole egg.
- Replace 1/2 cup oil with 1/2 cup applesauce.
Angel Food Pastry with Fresh Berries and Whipped Cream
1 ounce angel food cake mix (3 tablespoons)
1/8 cup yogurt, low-fat vanilla (2 Tablespoons)
1/8 cup raspberries (about 3 )
2 strawberries, sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons lite whipped topping (can use 1-2 Tablespoons)
- Scoop 3 Tablespoons of angel food cake mix into a microwave-safe cup or mug.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of vanilla yogurt and stir.
- Place in the center of the microwave oven and microwave for 1 minute.
- Take out of microwave and let cool for 1 minute.
- Using a knife, cut around the sides of the cup to loosen the cake and “dump” it on a plate.
- Dole 1 Tablespoon of whipped topping on top of the cake.
- Sprinkle raspberries around the angel cake and add sliced strawberries to top.
Instant Chocolate Mousse
1 box of instant chocolate pudding mix (3.9 ounce)
1 1/4 cups soy milk (cold)
3/4 package silken tofu (14 ounce)
- Blend the chocolate pudding mix and the soy milk on medium speed for about 15 seconds until the mixture is very smooth.
- Add the silken tofu and blend again. Scrape the mixture down off the sides to be sure it’s all mixed in. Blend and scrape until well mixed and very smooth.
- Pour mixture into 4 small serving dishes.
- Place in the fridge. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
For more healthy recipes check out USDA What’s Cooking?.