Every time I tell someone I have a Brussels sprouts addiction, I always get a similar response: “Yuck how can you like them–they’re nasty!” Although Brussels sprouts get a bad reputation, if cooked the right way, they can be very tasty! (Especially if you add some spices and season them well.) I could eat Brussels sprouts for dinner every night and be completely satisfied. Brussels sprouts are extremely healthy for you and are a great source of Vitamin C. Usually when I cook Brussels sprouts at home, I put a little olive oil and salt on them, and then broil them in the oven to get them perfectly crisp. While I was searching on the web for a new recipe to try, I ran into a Brussels sprout wrap that was absolutely amazing. I love wraps and am obsessed with Brussels sprouts, so it was the perfect combination. It was very easy to make and delicious.
Brussels Sprouts Wrap
From USDA What’s Cooking?
- 2 1/2 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and finely chopped
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 small avocados, pitted
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- First in a bowl, mix the garlic powder, salt, pepper, and onion powder all together.
- Next, warm the coconut oil in a pan over a medium temperature. Add the Brussels sprouts and seasoning mixture into the pan until they get a nice golden crisp.
- While the Brussels sprouts are cooking, mash the avocados and add the lime juice.
- Finally, spread the avocado mix onto a tortilla and then add the Brussels sprouts on top of the spread
Pinto beans can also be added with the Brussels sprouts to get more variety and to add more protein. Hope you enjoy this recipe just as much as I do!