Having ideas of easy to make, kid-friendly snacks can be a huge time saver and also give your kids some independence in the kitchen. Next time your kids ask if they can have a snack, you can set them up to make these easy and healthy snacks!
Instead of reaching for pre-packaged convenience snacks, an easy way to have kids develop independence in the kitchen is to pre-cut and pre wash some nutritious fruits and vegetables! By doing so, there would be numerous options for them to make.
Parents often complain that preparing healthy snacks is time-consuming especially in addition to cooking dinner. Remember that children can get many of the nutrients they need in snacks alone! This takes some of the pressure off meal-time when fussy eaters just won’t touch that delicious dinner you slaved over…
See below for some snack ideas!
- Crunchy Celery Sticks:
- Give the kids some pre-washed and pre-cut celery pieces
- Have them scoop nut butter or sun butter into the center
- Roll the center in some healthy granola!
- Veggies and Dip:
- Have some pre washed vegetables such as carrots, peas, and broccoli
- The kids can either eat raw or dip in hummus or another healthy alternative
- Brown-rice cakes:
- A brown-rice cake can be made into either a sweet or savory snack!
- Spread some sun butter and place some sliced bananas for a sweeter version
- Spread some hummus and sliced cucumber for a more savory version
- Frozen banana:
- Freeze some cut up bananas and have your kids dip in sun butter or yogurt
This post was written by Emma Nolan, a Penn State student studying Biobehavioral Health.